IIf you’re a digital health startup looking to make an impact, it makes sense to take action against diabetes. More than 34 million American adults – over a tenth of the population – live with the metabolic disorder, which costs the nation approximately $ 400 billion each year.
The earliest group of digital diabetes management startups – including Onduo, Omada Health, Virta Health, and Livongo – made a name for themselves by combining remote monitoring with virtual diabetes coaching. That approach has proven successful: they are among the most capitalized diabetes startups in the US, and Livongo was acquired by Teladoc for $ 18.5 billion last year. But the disease has also been a natural port of call for building health systems for other chronic conditions and even for general wellbeing.
Unlock this article by subscribing to STAT + and enjoy your first 30 days for free!
What is it?
STAT + is STAT’s premium subscription service for in-depth reporting and analysis across biotechnology, pharma, politics, and life sciences. Our award-winning team covers the news on Wall Street, Washington policy developments, early scientific breakthroughs and clinical trial results, and health care disruptions in Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Daily reporting and analysis
- The most comprehensive industry coverage from a powerful team of reporters
- Subscriber only newsletter
- Daily newsletters that keep you informed of the day’s most important industry news
- STAT + conversations
- Weekly opportunity to have a live video chat with our reporters and leading industry experts
- Exclusive industry events
- Premium access to networking events only for subscribers across the country
- The best reporters in the business
- The most trusted and most connected healthcare newsroom
- And much more
- Exclusive interviews with industry leaders, profiles and premium tools like our CRISPR Trackr.