The Mediterranean diet is low in red meat, sugar, saturated fat and high in products, nuts and other healthy foods. According to the US News and World Report, it is the world’s best diet and has held that title for four years in a row.
The eating habits of this diet are inspired by the Mediterranean countries. It is believed that people in the region live longer and have fewer health problems than countries in America. The US News and World Report reported that the Mediterranean Diet promotes weight loss, promotes heart and brain health, prevents cancer, and controls diabetes.
Although the principles are the same, the Mediterranean diet varies between Greeks, Italians, French, and Spaniards. To help people find the right way to follow this diet, the Harvard School of Public Health and the World Health Organization partnered with Oldways, a nonprofit food think tank based in Boston, to develop a consumer-friendly Mediterranean food pyramid.
Below are the basic guidelines for filling your plate.
© OldwaysThis is how you fill your plate the Mediterranean way.
To get started on the right foot in 2021, below are three delicious and well-balanced recipes that are easy to follow for the whole family and are based on the Mediterranean diet.
Spaghetti with seafood and saffron white wine sauce
© BarillaSpaghetti with seafood and saffron white wine sauce
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- A box of spaghetti collection
- Two cloves of chopped garlic
- Four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound prawns cut in half
- ½ pound calamari, cut into rings
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup of white wine
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- One tablespoon of parsley
- One teaspoon of lemon peel
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring 4-6 liters of water to the boil. Add salt to taste.
- Put the pasta in boiling water – for authentic “al dente” pasta, simmer for 11 minutes and stir occasionally. Drain well.
- While the spaghetti noodles are cooking, gently cook the garlic in olive oil in a large pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat too high and add the seafood; Saute for 2 minutes or until the seafood is almost done. Then add tomatoes, wine and saffron.
- Drain the spaghetti and mix with the sauce, lemon zest and parsley. Enjoy!