Kathell Margaret Geraghty Oncology Nurse, Oncology, The Galway Clinic, Galway, Republic of Ireland
Why should you read this article?
• • To improve your understanding of the effects of cancer and its treatment on patients’ nutritional status
• • Become familiar with nutritional interventions that can aid patients undergoing cancer treatment
• • To count as part of your 35 hour CPD for renewal or if you want to write a reflective account (UK readers)
• • Contribute to your professional development and local registration renewal (non-UK readers)
Adequate nutrition is a basic requirement of the human body that supports cell growth and optimal organ function. The nutritional needs of cancer patients may increase due to systemic inflammatory responses caused by cancer and cancer treatments. Nurses play an important role in providing nutritional interventions to patients undergoing cancer treatment through education and personalized nutrition. This article examines which nutritional interventions by nurses can alleviate symptoms and side effects, improve nutritional status, and improve the quality of life for cancer patients.
Standard of care.
doi: 10.7748 / ns.2021.e11692
This article has been subjected to an external double-blind review and checked for plagiarism using automated software
Conflict of interest
Geraghty KM (2021) Management of the effects of cancer and cancer treatments on the nutritional status of patients. Standard of care. doi: 10.7748 / ns.2021.e11692
Published online 25 February 2021
Would you like to read more?
Subscribe for unrestricted access
Try 1 month access for just £ 1 and get:
Your subscription package includes:
- Full access to Nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard App
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi portfolio and interactive CPD tests
- RCNi learning with more than 200 evidence-based modules
- 10 articles per month from every other RCNi magazine
RCN student member? Try Nursing Standard Student
Already subscribed? log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now