For many, 2020 was a great year for home cooking. When the COVID-19 pandemic suddenly became an inevitable topic of everyday conversation, people were forced to get creative in the kitchen when lockdown regulations went into effect in most parts of the world last March.
In the early days of quarantine, many were understandably disappointed with the takeaway idea but wanted all of the comfort foods they so badly needed as a distraction. This, of course, led to the tendency to bake bread at home as Instagram filled to the brim with posts from couples showing off their first rye breads and stories asking people where to get their hands on the best sourdough starter can.
Unfortunately the lockdown lasted a little longer than we all expected (under) and it wasn’t long before we were all completely burned out in the kitchen. What’s worse is that many have had to completely switch courses, from their first lasagna and risotto to meh salads, quinoa bowls that crush the soul, and the terribly simple chicken breast and broccoli.
However, don’t let unsavory memories of mommy’s bland chicken casseroles put you off. There are plenty of healthy chicken recipes out there that are far tastier than your guilt-free meals. We’ve dug up some of the best healthy chicken recipes to share with you below.
Healthy orange chicken
Chinese food is the ultimate convenience food for many, but it certainly doesn’t feel like there are many healthy chicken recipes available at the local take away.
Additionally, inexperienced chefs have a feeling that cooking Chinese can be quite intimidating. These recipes are easier than you might think, and there are many ways you can create healthy versions of your favorites. The couple who eat clean has a great gluten-free orange chicken recipe any amateur chef can whip up.
2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, 4 cups of steamed broccoli or green beans, 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil.
2 cups of orange juice, 1/4 cup of coconut aminos, 3 tablespoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, 1/2 tablespoon of orange peel, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- In a large pan with sesame oil, cut and cook the chicken over medium heat for about fifteen minutes, or until cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the ingredients in the sauce.
- Place the chicken in a separate bowl and add the sauce to the pan.
- Cook the sauce for about fifteen minutes or until thick.
- Combine the chicken and sauce in the pan.
- Serve and enjoy over vegetables.
This recipe from A careful mother gives us one of the best healthy chicken recipes to spice up the worldly chicken breast meal. Lemon & a little sweet, this meal fits the bill.
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast chops, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, ½ cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 lemon wedge.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat in a large pan for just about three minutes to fry and get some color.
- Put the chicken on a separate plate.
- Whisk honey, lemon juice, chicken broth and Dijon in the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the pan and place lemon wedges over the chicken. Then cover the pan and cook for ten to fifteen minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with vegetables and enjoy.
Thin buffalo chicken
Buffalo Chicken is one of the most popular chicken recipes, and now you can enjoy a guilt-free version of the classic soccer munchie. Thin leader gives us a recipe full of flavor at a fraction of the calories of the average wing plate.
8 strips of chicken fillet, 12.5 ounces, 1/4 cup of Frank’s Hot Sauce, 4 sticks of celery (cut into 4-inch strips), 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Combine dry spices in a large bowl.
- Throw the chicken in the spice bowl.
- In a large pan, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat
- When it’s hot, add half of the chicken and cook until golden brown for about five minutes. Turn the chicken over and heat until cooked through.
- Set aside, repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Toss cooked chicken in a large bowl of hot sauce.
- Serve with celery sticks and thin blue cheese dressing (optional).
These fun healthy chicken recipes are sure to make your work week go by. Try these killer plates and you will be the iron chef of healthy chicken recipes in no time.